“Go big, or go home!” It’s an anecdote that’s become just as popular as any of the old classics. When you think about it, it’s pretty timeless and can be applied to just about anything. A hairstyle, the “buffness” (so not a real word) of one’s boyfriend, a night out or even the size of your Big Mac Mc Meal.
So with this sentiment in mind, here’s a list of times where is does really pay to “go big”:
- When you’ve pawned it with your girlfriend and you’re really (and I mean REALLY sorry). Whether it’s flowers, chocolates or jewelry, don’t be shy champ. Super size that shit.
- When you’re purchasing a fridge. (This one’s especially true for me). How big you ask? Well, in my opinion, you should get one that will a) be a cracker place for “hide and seek” and b) Accommodate the ludicrous volume and baked goods that you produce on a weekly basis. I purchased this fridge last week. I know it may be too much too soon, but I feel like we have this unspoken bond. He even has a name… Notorious B.I.G and he loves it when you call him “Big Poppa” (you see what I did there? Ha).
- When you find yourself needing to curl or tease your hair. After all the higher the hair, the closer you are to Jesus.
- The size of your French fries at Burger King. (I’m not even going to lie to you, two weeks ago, I went all the way).
- When you are purchasing sound for either your house or your car. Not sure how big to go? Well, if it doesn’t sound like a party at Aunty Varsha’s house that time when your cousin Darshan got those new 26’s for his 18th then quite frankly, you may as well just go home…
- When you’re trying out a new fitness regime. Don’t be afraid to push yourself to your absolute limits! I for one started training at Movement X Umhlanga and I’ll be real with you, I sweat like a weight watcher in a cake shop. EVERY. DAMN. TIME. (And by “sweat” I mean glisten, in the most attractive way of course. Several people can vouch for this. Ha). So if you’re looking for a fresh new way to set fire to that winter flubber, you know what to do. Plus, a little birdie told me that they’re running an 8 week challenge and that the prizes to be won are epic! So to everyone serious about getting into shape, I guess I’ll see you there. (Shout out to the Movement X Umhlanga team for their killer classes and a thanks in advance for my hot summer bod! Thank goodness Giselle has retired from the modelling world, I mean, I’d hate to embarrass her like that… Ha). For more info, check out their website: Movement X
- When you have a choice between making regular brownies or these epic, Chubby Cheesecake Chocolate ones, for goodness sake, GO BIG. (As I have done for the purpose of this blog post, you’re welcome).
This recipe is for my Chubby Cheesecake Chocolate Brownies. They’re decadently chocolatey and ridiculously moist (yes, moist. Sadly a suitable substitute for that word is yet to be found. However, should you have a great replacement, I will be taking submissions). Also, it must be said that if chocolate brownies laced with chunks of Top Deck and a luscious cheesecake topping don’t get you excited, then quite frankly, it’s late for you.
So this one’s for those who aren’t afraid to go big. The ones who make every day better than the one that came before it. The ones who go “Magic Mike XXL” on the originals that probably never needed much improvement anyway… This one is for Jen who lives larger than any of the stars of “My 600 pound life.” It’s for Kays, Kourt and Meg who give “going big” new meaning each and every time they leave the house. It’s also for Jeans who goes big with kindness, one of the most underrated gifts of this generation.
Yours in Baking, Bitching and going BIG (because “xoxo” was too mainstream and because in the words of The Backstreet Boys, “that makes you larger than life.” Lylo, that one’s for you!)
Chubby Cheesecake Chocolate Brownies
For the Brownies:
1 cup of Salted Butter
2 and 1/4 cups of Sugar
4 Large Eggs
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
1 and 1/4 cups of Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
1 and 1/2 cups of Cake Flour
1 x 180g Slab of Top Deck chopped into chunks (Go big people, don’t be making dust out of the chocolate)
For the Cheesecake Topping:
1 cup of Cream Cheese (at room temp)
1/3 cup of Sour Cream
1/2 cup of Sugar
1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade and grease a square brownie dish.
- Melt butter and sugar together in a heatproof bowl in the microwave until it is bubbling slightly. Stir and set aside to cool.
- Make the cheesecake topping in a separate bowl by combining all the cheesecake ingredients together, set aside.
- Back to the brownies though, (bitches be multitasking!) Add the eggs and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add the cocoa to the butter mix, as well as the baking powder and flour and mix well.
- Fold the chocolate chunks into the brownie batter.
- Pour the brownie batter into dish and with the handle of a teaspoon, make trenches through the batter and spoon the cheesecake mix into the lines or trenches you have created.
- Continue until most of your cheesecake mix is gone (I never use all of mine)
- Swirl all together with the spoon (it may look like a hot mess but trust me, it works a treat!)
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out almost clean. You will know when they are done. When you know, you just know, you know?
Health Hack: Switch the sugar for xylitol and skip the chocolate chunks, chubby!